Monday, October 10, 2011

Trying to be a Wife of Noble Character


     It's crazy to me how much marriage can change your life.  Now, I know that a lot of people say that.  That it's a huge commitment, taking two lives and combining them for better or for worse.  Everyone talks about how it's hard and how you have to work on it constantly, blah, blah blah.  Yes, that's true.  We had to prep for this, have long conversations, make sure we knew each other's expectations and what us getting married would entail.  From my end, that mostly meant that I was leaving California, my family, my friends, my church, and job.  It wasn't something to be done lightly, but I did, and I did it with joy and love.  Ever since then I've been amazed by how this has changed my life.  While Chad and I were dating I was in a women's Bible study where we went over Proverbs 31:10-31 A Wife of Noble Character.  I remember thinking "This is what I want to be for my husband...But how do I do that?"
     So, I'll be honest, nothing in me ever wanted to be a housewife before I got married.  All I could think of was that I would be soooo bored.  I mean, really? What would I do? Laundry? Dishes (EWWW!!)?  Cook for him?  In the mean time he gets to go to work and do something really useful while I'm trapped at home, waiting on him.  That's what I thought of it.  I would be free labor to keep the house up instead of part of a team, and that I would resent him for it.  Either that or I would think of the stereotypical idea of the woman who just didn't want to work.  Sitting at home all day watching TV and eating bon bons, not contributing anything to the home, just floating.  What would people think of me?!?  It was something that seriously bothered me.  I swore I would never be that woman.  That I would work.  That I would make my own way and pay for things myself.  I didn't want to depend on anyone else.
     Fast forward to me being a wife, a Navy wife at that.  I couldn't get a full time job in my career field here.  I'm not dependable with our situation.  There's no telling how long we'll be here and when we'll move.  So, I decided to be a sub.  But that meant I still had 2 months to just be a wife.  That's when I made the most amazing discovery.  I love being a housewife!  Now I'm trying to find ways to be the wife in Proverbs.
     I'm certainly not perfect.  I'm a sinner.  I get lazy sometimes and spend the day on the couch playing video games, and then ask if we can just order pizza for dinner.  Sometimes I do get lonely or bored and I get mad when my husband comes home and just wants to rest after work, but I'm full of energy and want to go out.  It is a lot of work, just like everyone says.  But what's making it easier for me right now is that I'm finding  my own joy in it all.  My husband makes that easy for me.  He constantly thanks me for what I do.  When he can, he helps me around the house and with the cooking.  Chad leads me in a way that makes it easy for me to follow him and be happy with this new way of life for me.  I'm changing what I want in life, not because anyone is making me, but because I want to.  I want to be a wife for whom it can be said "Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life."

No comments:

Post a Comment